Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Bush Administration

My dear readers (all four of you), if you come to this blog with the idea that I am an apologist for the Bush administration, or think that perhaps because I lambast Democrats in Congress and in the White House that means I approve of everything Bush did, then you are mistaken.

George W. Bush, like his father, was not a conservative.

Should I repeat that? I wish I did not have to, but I probably should because some people cannot seem to get an "us vs. them" mentality out of their heads. They read everything through that template.

George W. Bush, like his father, was not a conservative. Neither did I approve of everything he and his administration did.

One thing I appreciate about Bush is that he worked tirelessly after 9/11 to keep us safe and was successful in doing so. Thank-you, Mr. President, for that.

But, please. If your only response to a criticism of the Obama administration is to point out a foible of the last administration, or if you think that by pointing out some inconsistency in Bush you point out an inconsistency in my conservative/libertarian viewpoint, then you are, well, mistaken.

Maybe I should post something about how I'm no longer a Republican because they no longer represent my values--so that I can better get my point across. Wait. I already did that. Or maybe I should post something about how the Republicans will need to do more than just talk conservatively to win me back, like I did this very morning, and then you might get it.

Probably not.

So, while a response like, "Well, Bush did blah, blah, blah . . ." might impress your liberal friends, it really isn't an adequate response to any criticism of this administration, is it?

2 comments:

Tom Sawyer said...

For an example of exactly what I'm talking about, i.e. Republicans doing liberal things, see this post by my friend the Texas Conservative over on his blog. A pox on Kay Bailey Hutchison and her plans to expand state government.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think we got when you wrote "No Longer A Republican".